Custom and Semicustom Optoelectronic ICs
EM Microelectronic's optoelectronic product line encompasses a broad range of products, with the common elements being optical-input and efficient electronic signal processing. We deliver market-driven customizable solutions for your applications.
The EM engineering team has many man-decades of experience in optoelectronic products, during which we have developed the full range of expertise needed to achieve the right product for your optoelectronic application
Examples of Optoelectronic-related Capabilities
* 20 picoAmp Photocurrent Optical Receiver (ESSCIRC 1997)
* Thermoelectric Infrared Sensors and Low-noise amplifiers (ESSCIRC 1996 & JSSC 1997)
* Wide-bandwidth Low-noise optical receivers (DC – 150MHz)
* In-pixel custom signal processing (2-D calculations faster with less power)
* Differential Sensor auto-normalization: full wide band calculation of the normalized Output = (A-B)/(A+B)
* Low Power (12mW) CMOS VGA Image Sensor
* High-Speed (>5000 frames/sec) CMOS Image Sensor
* High-dynamic range signal handling and "electronic shutter" exposure timing
* Linear, logarithmic, or other response curves
* Optical Chip-on Board, and Optical Chip-Scale packaging
* Optical Module (including lenses, filters, etc) design and low-cost production
* System level analysis and simulation for optimum cost/performance tradeoffs
CD/DVD Photodetector/Amplifier ICs
EM has a family of Optoelectronic ICs called PDICs and XOEICs® for high performance CD and DVD products. Our parts have industry-leading characteristics for low-noise (-80dBm at the output), wide-bandwidth (DC to 150MHz), and DC accuracy.
EM is the only licensed manufacturer of Multi-beam® pickup ICs that enable extremely fast DVD drives. Multi-beam® optical drives are leading-edge products entering manufacturing now and will be available in mass volume soon.
Computer Interface Products
EM supplies more than 50% of optical elements for mice and trackballs for the entire world; being the highest-quality and highest-volume supplier in that market. Further, EM has held that position since the mid '90s, with innovative low-cost, mass-produced products.
EM continues with exciting new product developments for the human-computer interface market. The latest generation of mice and trackballs are intelligent cameras with complex signal processing performed within the imager IC.
The wide variety of optoelectronic IC developments have established EM as a world leader in this area of photons-to-information integrated circuitry. We embed complex signal processing into the pixel elements or onto the same IC as the photosensor in order to achieve the optimum tradeoff of cost/performance.
The EM team contains the required system-level expertise to develop a custom photo-processor for your application. We perform the system analysis and application-simulation, specification, detailed design, verification, fabrication, packaging, evaluation, and test development that gives you the complete solution to your application.
Packages & Modules
A key challenge in cost-effective optical ICs is providing the right package solution at the right price. EM provides a wide variety of standard optical package options; plus low-cost optical-chip-on-board (OCOB) as well as other custom package solutions, including optical chip-scale packages.
EM's staff also has created a wide variety of high-volume modules that include optical elements as well as electronic components into a single cost-effective solution. EM can be a one-stop shop for your entire module, with the full range of design support, from the optical design expertise to the mechanical packaging expertise necessary for low-cost high-volume applications.